History & Milestones
1889: The Bethany Methodist Family begins as a compassionate married couple act as Good Samaritans and invite an indigent,
elderly woman to share their home. After meeting six other homeless seniors, they collect funds and open the first Bethany
Retirement Community on Chicago's north side.
1930: Bethany is recognized as a national leader in non-profit, high-quality care for older adults.
1942: When the Retirement Community infirmary reaches capacity, Methodist Hospital of Chicago is built next door to serve residents and neighbors of all ages.
1965: As life-spans lengthen, the number of seniors with chronic illness increases. Bethany responds to the need for dedicated, 24-hour skilled nursing services by opening The Bethany Terrace in Morton Grove.
1985: The Dementia Care Center at Bethany Terrace is designed to offer quality-of-life programs for elders who might otherwise be ignored or institutionalized. Before Alzheimer's Disease is widely understood, the Center pioneers holistic care that encourages meaningful activities, maximizes resident independence, and supports families with education and counseling.
2003: The Village of Glenview invites Bethany Methodist to develop Chestnut Square at The Glen. This beautiful new community for independent senior living is located within walking distance of theaters, golf courses, restaurants and shopping.
2007: To enable older adults to thrive in place, Bethany Methodist acquires Partners in Healthcare, a licensed agency staffed by Certified Nurses Assistants and RNs. With a caregiver or companion for a short-term or longer-term basis, seniors may live confidently as they remain safe in their own homes following hospitalizations or as their needs become magnified.